28 September, 2012

Rockabilly Bernie Dexter style in Spain

In preparation for my trip to Spain recently, I put together some great outfits built on a nautical/red and white rockabilly theme. Sticking to one colour palette when you pack for holidays means you can use the same accessories and have more outfits to wear - yay! In my next post I will show you my fantastic Retro Sailor swimsuit. Today it is a figure-hugging Bettie Page style look . . 


This is my first time doing the 'Rockabilly' look. I am not sure if you can make out my hairdo clearly, but it is that very striking roll-under that Rockabilly girls often wear. Bettie Page, a model who became famous for her pin-up look in the 1950s.


In most photos she seems to be wearing her hair in 'bangs' (or in Australia we call this a 'fringe') but most modern girls re-create this by putting in 'faux bangs' by rolling the hair under. This is particularly good if you don't want to cut your hair off and want more versatility in your hairdos (for instance, to be able to wear victory rolls as well). Now I should say, I find this hairstyle quite difficult to do. But there are a few very good tutorials on youtube. I used one by Fleur, otherwise known as '1940s Vintage Girl'. See this link. It is very important to buy a 'hair rat' for this, which is basically a roll of fake hair - that helps to give that full look to the 'fake bangs'. I thought this style might be too severe for me (cause I aint young!) but actually it works really well (probably because it distracts from my wrinkles!).


This is also the first time I have bought any reproduction vintage like that made by Bernie Dexter and others. I have to say I think the quality of Bernie Dexter clothing is VERY good. The fabric is very robust (not flimsy) and the sewing is all done to high standards. As you can see, the capri pants are VERY figure hugging so if you are buying a pair (which you should do, they are great) then don't go small (I bought a size 10 pants and size 8 blouse). When I first put the capris on I was worried they were a bit TOO figure hugging. But my husband absolutely loves them, and they were hugely popular with the Spanish men (ones over 50 years old I must add) so kerching, kerching - they are a winner. Anyway, I figure, like Joanie from Mad Men - if you have the curves, show them off!

Outfit details

Blouse and high waisted capri pants: Bernie Dexter http://www.berniedexter.com/

Earrings: etsy Old and new boutique

Handbag: etsy - Nells Vintage House

Striped bangle  etsy  Rosemyne Vintage
Red bangle: etsy Mabel studios

Vintage red parasol – the lovely Maura Bee at etsy Maura Bee

Sunglasses: Accessorize (Dublin, also available in the UK)

6 comments:

  1. You look gorgeous! Those capri pants are a great fit on you. I'm not surprised that you attracted so much male attention when you look this awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rrrrhhh! You look fabo in your jeans and check blouse. You can definitely get away with that look and I agree with Joanie too... if you've got it, flaunt it, and you've got it. I love your little cane basket too! xx Shauna

    P.S- I just wanted to say thankyou for the encouragement you gave me many moons ago at the Williamstown vintage fair about having the courage to have my own blog...I did take up your advice and enjoy it emensely...lots of fun. I'm enjoying all your wonderful travel adventures, thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had a thought...do you read LOST IN THE 50's blog? It's by Laurence Brucker ( a lovely lady) who lives in France. She has many swoon worthing posts and even has some tips on shopping vintage and flea markets in France. I have pasted a link to her favourite Parisian vintage shop below- I hope you enjoy her blog..I love it! xx http://lostin1950.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/disneyland-paris-day-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, thank you Princess Pincurls for this link - it is so rare to see people in France wearing vintage so it is great to have a contact here. I have emailed her and we might meet up in the next few months. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are most welcome- I knew you would think her a treasure! If you go back through her older posts she shows some wonderful vintage shops that are outside of Paris...that are much more reasonably priced...I think she is definately THE vintage expert. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome blog! i just found it today and i went through the archives. i really like what i see here. ...
    i follow as fast as i type.

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete